Sunday 9 February 2014

The Blogger Made Me Buy It!


This tag is so relevant to my life just now. I've dipped in and out of blogs for the past few years but it's only been recently that I've really got into blogs and YouTube and have taken on so many recommendations of late. I love it. It's like when you share beauty tips with your friends but just on a more global, glamourous and informed manner! So here I go....

1. Who are your most influential bloggers? Who are the ones you really rely on for reviews and swatches?

For general reviews and recommendations its without a doubt Fleur. Fleur is one of my favourite bloggers and YouTubers, her videos are varied there's everything from high end princess product reviews to drugstore hauls and dupes. Having seen the size of her makeup and beauty collection, anyone who has gone through that many products knows what they are talking about!

For nail polish, there is only one blog: Polishaholic You can literally find every shade of polish, from every brand here. Her attention to detail is incredible - for every polish she show how it looks in different lights, how many coats you need, she even has a spreadsheet of every polish she owns! It's so inspiring to see someone so dedicated.

I'm also very easily influenced by the lovely girls over at Peaches and Cream I stumbled upon their blog by chance a few years ago and instantly fell in love with their blog. They are all from Liverpool so their style of make up might not be to everyone's taste but I personally love them and a lot of their recommendations have found their way into my every day make up bag.

2. Do you buy a product solely as a result of one review from your favourite bloggers, or do you look around for more reviews from others?

 I think it depends what type of product it is and how much it is. For drugstore make-up, if I see one or two good reviews, I'll pick it up without much more thought.

For more high-end purchases and for skin care I definitely look around more blogs so I don't waste my money on dud products.

3. What's your most favourite item you've ever bought as a consequence of blogs?

I have a few, all of which are now I use almost every day:

  • MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural - Medium Deep: the Peaches and Cream girls use this for contouring, I use it as my every day bronzer and for contouring. It has a really nice, natural colour and gives my skin a really lovely glowly finish (but with no awful sparkly bits)
  • MAC Pigment in Vanilla - Another Peaches and Cream one. I use this in the inner corner of my eye for day time make up to fake that wide awake look and then on my brow bone and sometimes cheeks as a highlighter for going out make up. You only need a tiny bit, I've had mine for about 2 years and it looks like I've hardly used any of it so it's been a economical purchase too!
  • Illamasqua Eye Liner Cake - Wow this is embarrassing. Guess who recommended it... Another product I probably would never tried if it wasn't for Peaches and Cream and another product which I now use every day. You need to mix this with a little bit of water and it gives an amazing long lasting finish. The amount of water you add affects the overall colour and finish so you can use more or less depending on what look you are going for and can really build up the colour. Like the MAC pigment, it's been a long lasting purchase as I've had mine about 2 years too and you couldn't tell by looking at it 

4. What is your least favourite item that you have ever bought as a consequence of blogs?

Ugh definitely Biotherm Micelle Solution make up remover. This is raved about on many a blog but I felt it was such a waste of money and I actually feel disappointed in myself for buying this. It's a make up remover and it removes make up so I shouldn't complain but I just don't see the point in paying between £4.50 for a tiny bottle and £14.50 for the large size when you can get perfectly good make up removers from the likes of Simple, Garnier and so on for half the price.

5. Name five products you've recently bought as a result of blogs

Ren Glycolactic Radiance Renewal Mask - Buynowbloglater / Fleur

Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection Concealer - Fleur / Tanya Burr

Revlon Colour Burst Lip Butters - Fleur

Lit Cosmetics Clearly Liquid Glitter Base - Peaches and Cream

L'oreal Rouge Caresse Gloss - Fleur


6. Have you ever given in to blogger hype? If so, which hype?

All the time - see above! I am always a bit dubious when suddenly every blog has glowing reviews about a product but it is so easy to get swept away with the hype.

7. Have you ever avoided blogger hype? If so, which hype?

Currently I'm avoiding Oribe Try Texturising Spray. Yes it looks amazing (especially on buynowbloglater) but the price tag puts me off.

8. Is everything you buy based on blogger reviews or are there some items you buy without checking out a review?
Most of my recent make up purchases are heavily blogger influenced and I'm currently on the look out for a recommended moisturiser. But I'm a beauty addict so I can't resist impulse buys!

I'd love to hear more about what blogs and products you have found/recommend/avoid so comment below and share! xoxo








1 comment: